Sunday, August 8, 2010

Garage sale Saturday

The whole family hit the road at 6:30 for a morning of garage sales.  It is unusual to have the whole family with me.  My husband is on the swing shift this week, so he could go with us.  We had quite a car full with my son, daughter-in-law , my 2-year old grandson and my DH.  I actually did pretty good today.  I didn't get pictures of everything, but I have a few to show you.  At our first stop of the morning I got 3 paperbacks for my DH and a magnet for my daughter-in-law.  Not much happening at that sale and I didn't get any pictures of the purchases.
I did a little better at the next garage sale.  I got a 3 yard+ piece of fabric that is destined to become aprons and I only payed $2.00 for it.  I also got 3 bolts of eyelet lace for $2.00 each.  I don't know how much is on each bolt, but it looks like a lot.  WAHOO!!
Then we made a few sales that thought very highly of their stuff.  I can't understand why people think that someone is going to pay almost new prices for their "junk".  There were even a few that we just did a "drive-by" on.  The "drive-bys" upset my grandson.  He thinks that we ought to stop at every garage sale we go by.  He also gets upset if we don't stay long enough at a sale.

Speaking of "drive bys", the sale that I scored the best for myself was almost a "drive by".  All I could see were clothes, but it was in a very upscale area, so I said "Why Not" and boy am I glad I decide to stop.  One of the ladies was just my size.  I got 3 very expensive suits.  She said she had purchased them to go job hunting .  Two of the suits, the cream one and the pink one were like new.  The navy suit still had the tags on it.  The navy suit has 4 pieces, the jacket, skirt, shell, and slacks.  Now the best part, only $5.00 for each suit.  I did my little happy dance when I got back to the car.
The last sale of the day was the best.  I didn't get anything for myself, but we still scored big time.  My husband got a box of fishing lures for $10.00.  I didn't get a picture of them.  He put them in his tackle box as soon as he got home and I don't know which is which.  As we were starting to leave the sale, my son ask me if I had seen the scuba gear.  "What scuba gear?"says I.  He takes me over to this huge black bag and unzips it.  Now I never even saw the huge thing and certainly wouldn't have unzipped it even if I had seen it.  Both of my brothers are avid scuba divers.  As you will see in my pictures, there was a lotta gear in that bag.  I ask the lady what she wanted for all of it and was shocked when she said $40.00.  Now I don't know anything about scuba gear, but I know the bag itself had to be worth more than that.  So I got on the cell phone to my brother in Austin and told him what I was looking at and ask if the price was right.  Of course, I never thought to use my phone to send him pics.  He said to go for it, so I told my husband to go make a deal.  We came home with a trunk full of scuba gear for $35.00. 



 So the trunk is full of goodies and now its time for Double Dave's for the pizza buffet.  All this bargain shopping makes this Texas gal hungry!!!

I am linking this post to Apron Thrift GirlHop on over to her blog to see what fellow thrifters found over the week-end.

This post is also linked to COASTAL CHARM   and her Nifty Thrifty Party.  Check out what other  thrifters found this week-end.
 

Well, I thought my comment box had returned from cyberspace, but its gone again.  To comment, please click on the title of this post and the comment box will magically appear.  Thanks for taking the extra time to comment.

7 comments:

  1. I figured out how to comment!!! Those suits are great and for the price you had to buy them. I don't know anything about scuba gear, but I would say you got a pretty good bargain on that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! The suits are beautiful and all that scuba gear for $35? WOW! Way to go! La

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you really scored big time! I love your sense of style - those suits are gorgeous! Good thing you stopped! And since they were the perfect size it was obviously meant to be!
    xoxo,
    Kim
    p.s. it took me a while to figure out how to comment too! Silly me - your instructions were right there in front of me the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! I think you're having entirely too much fun... Stay home and sew! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big time score on the suits, that's awesome! I had to laugh because I do drive-bys too:)

    xo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the drive-bys as well. If there's only one table of clothes and a few boxes, forget it!

    That scuba gear has got to be a score!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. The suits were an awesome find. We are garage sale freaks. Love them. Really do not need antyhing but feel compelled to get up at 6am on Saturdays and go on the hunt! It is the unexpected finds that ecite me. thanks bunches for visiting me. hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails